PLEASE FOLLOW PRE-CARE PROVIDED BY OUR CLINIC
PLEASE NOTE: If you have any concerns or questions prior to your surgery, you are encouraged to speak to Dr. Alghonaim in advance to ensure you are fully prepared for your surgical date
1.What to AVOID 2 Weeks Before Surgery:
- Naturopathic or herbal medications
- Remove Gel/Acrylic nails and nail polish on fingers and toes for surgery
- MUST DISCONTINUE: Aspirin, Advil or Ibuprofen, as these products may increase bleeding.
MUST AVOID: Garlic Extract, Fish Oils and Vitamin E and Arnica.
2. What you Need:
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Fucidin Ointment
- Saline Nasal Spray
- Gauze pads
- Surgical Tape
- Small Ice Packs (to be placed under the eyes/beside nose)
- Travel Neck Pillow /Airplane Neck Pillow
- Vitamin C – Patients may take up to 2000 mg of Vitamin C daily for 2 weeks prior to surgery.
- Prescription for anti-biotic and pain will be provided by the hospital on the day of your surgery
- Recommended: Arnica, an herbal Supplement to help minimize bruising and swelling. To be taken following surgery. 3. What you Need to Know:
- If you take medications for Diabetes or Hypertension: Please take your medication the morning of your surgery
- Remove all piercings, gel/shellac/nail polish and make-up before for your surgery
- No food or drinks past midnight the night before
- Arrive at the hospital 3 hours prior to surgery
- Your rhinoplasty surgery may be 1-2 hours in length
- You will remain in recovery for up to 2 hours following your surgery
- Ensure you have a family member or friend to drive you home
- Often patients experience heightened anxiety around the surgical period. This is normal.
- The splint will remain in place for 7-10 days.
- Change Surgical Dressing (gauze taped beneath nose) as needed for the first 24 – 48 hours.
- Sleep with your head elevated on 2-3 pillows for first 7 days.
- Sleep on your back, preferred for 2 weeks
- Standard post-operative swelling may last for up to 4-6 weeks.
- Take prescribed anti-biotic as prescribed.
- Should you develop a rash, DISCONTINUE medication and contact our clinic.
- Your eyes may become quite swollen and bruised. You may get red spots on the white areas of your eyes. These side effects generally last 2-3 weeks.
- Your nose will feel congested and you may find it difficult to breathe for at least 2-3 weeks.
- You may have mild bleeding from the front of your nose or down the back of your throat for a few days.
- Your nose will be painful and tender for 2-3 weeks
- Your throat may be sore for several days